- Virtual Geographic Environments
- Geographic modeling and simulation
Geographic modeling and simulation, Virtual Geographic Environments
Education and experience
- 2019-present, Deputy Director, Key Laboratory of Virtual Geographic Environment, Ministry of Education, Nanjing Normal University
- 2015-present, Nanjing Normal University, School of Geographical Sciences, Professor
- 2012-2015, Associate Researcher, Institute of Space and Earth Information Science, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- 2009 to 2012, Postdoctoral Fellow, Institute of Space and Earth Information Science, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- 2009 Ph.D. in Cartography and GIS, Nanjing Normal University, China
- 2004 B.E. in Computational Mathematics, Nanjing Normal University, China
Honors and Awards
- Special Prize of Geographic Information Technology Progress Award (2021, ranked first)
- Global Frontier Science and Technology Young Scientist Award (2021)
- Jiangsu Youth Science and Technology Award and Jiangsu Top ten Youth Science Star (the only one selected in geosciences), 2020
- Youth science and technology award in the Geographical Society of China, 2019
- Waldo Tobler Young Researcher Award in GIScience awarded by Austrian Academy of Sciences (GIS Committee), 2018
- Frist Prize in Natural Science awarded by the Ministry of Education of PRC, 2018
- Best special issue organization award of IJDE(2018)
- Best Paper award (corresponding author), 7th Digital Earth Summit, International Society for Digital Earth, 2018
- A member of “Top ten outstanding postgraduate tutor teams in Jiangsu Province”, 2018
- Second Prize in Natural Science awarded by the Education Department of Jiangsu province, 2016
- The 6th University Innovative Personality in GIS of China, 2016
- Second Prize in Natural Science awarded by the Ministry of Education of PRC, 2014
- Vice President of International Environmental Modelling and Software Society (iEMSs), 2020-
- Chair of Modeling Geographical Systems commission of International Geographical Union (IGU), 2020-
- Fellow of International Environmental Modelling and Software Society, 2019-
- Fellow of Royal Geographical Society (with the Institute of British Geographers), 2019
- Co-Chair of Education and Capacity Building for Digital Earth committee of the ISDE, 2019-
- Chair of Exploring interoperability of open modeling platforms Initiative in CSDMS, 2019-
- Chair of Young Scientist Working Group in Asian Geographic Associate ,2019-
- Director of American Geographical Association (AAG) Asian Geography Working Group East Asia, 2019-
- Executive editor of Annals of GIS (an official journal of CPGIS), 2019-
- Editor of Environmental Modelling & Software (an official journal of iEMSs), 2019-
- Youth Editor of Science Bulletin, 2021-
- Board Member of International Environmental Modeling and Software Association, 2018-
- Member of the Management Committee of the Overseas Chinese GIS Association (CPGIS) , 2018-
- Liaison in Asia of the International Open Modeling Alliance , 2018-
- Deputy Chairman of the Virtual Geographic Environment Professional Committee of the Central Committee of the International Digital Earth Association , 2017-
- Secretary of the American Geographical Association (AAG) Geographic Information Science and System Professional Committee , 2016-2018
- Guest editor of SCI journals such as Journal of hydrology, IJDE, EES, and editorial board member of journals such as EES and SESMO
Selected Research Projects
- National Natural Science Foundation of China, research on reproducible methods for geographic simulation, preside
- Outstanding Youth Fund Project of National Natural Science Foundation of China, geographic modeling and simulation, preside
- National Youth Talent Program (key funding), geographic modeling and simulation, preside
- A key project of the National Natural Science Foundation of China, research on modal methods for geographic synthesis, participated (ranked second)
- National key R&D project, simulation and prediction of the response of key elements of the land surface to global changes, participated
- The national major scientific research project, based on the collaborative simulation and evaluation of the global change of the virtual geographic environment and the mutual influence of human activities and the environment, participated
- 1. Min Chen, Guonian Lv*, Chenghu Zhou, Hui Lin, Zaiyang Ma, Songshan Yue, Yongning Wen, Fengyuan Zhang, Jin Wang, Zhiyi Zhu, Kai Xu, Yuanqing He. 2021. Geographic modeling and simulation systems for geographic research in the new era: Some thoughts on their development and construction. Science China Earth Sciences, 64: 1207–1223.
- 2. Min Chen, Alexey Voinov, Daniel P. Ames, Albert J. Kettner, Jonathan L. Goodall, Anthony J. Jakeman, Michael Barton, Quillon Harpham, Susan M. Cuddy, Cecelia DeLuca, Songshan Yue, Fengyuan Zhang, Jin Wang, Yongning Wen, Guonian Lu. 2020. Position Paper: Open Web-Distributed Integrated Geographic Modelling to Enable Wider Participation and Model Application. Earth-Science Reviews, 207:103223.
- 3. Hyeongmo Koo, Takuya Iwanaga, Barry F.W. Croke, Anthony J. Jakeman, Jing Yang, Hsiao-Hsuan Wang, Xifu Sun, Guonian Lü, Xin Li, Tianxiang Yue, Wenping Yuan, Xintao Liu, Min Chen*. Position Paper: Sensitivity Analysis of Spatially Distributed Environmental Models- A pragmatic framework for the exploration of uncertainty sources. Environmental Modelling and Software, 134: 104857.
- 4. Songshan Yue, Min Chen*, Jie Song, Wenping Yuan, Tiexi Chen, Guonian Lü, Chaoran Shen, Zaiyang Ma, Kai Xu, Yongning Wen, Hongquan Song. 2020. Participatory intercomparison strategy for terrestrial carbon cycle models based on a service-oriented architecture. Future Generation Computer Systems, 112,449-466.
- 5. Hyeongmo Koo, Min Chen*, Anthony Jakeman, Fengyuan Zhang. 2020. A global sensitivity analysis approach for identifying critical sources of uncertainty in non-identifiable, spatially distributed environmental models: A holistic analysis applied to SWAT for input datasets and model parameters. Environmental modelling & software, 127, 104676.
- 6. Jin Wang, Min Chen*, Guonian Lü, Songshan Yue, Yongning Wen, Zhengxu Lan, Shuo Zhang, 2020. A data sharing method in the open web environment: Data sharing in hydrology. Journal of Hydrology, 587, 124973.
- 7. Fengyuan Zhang, Min Chen*, Songshan Yue, Yongning Wen, Guonian Lü, Fei Li. 2020. Serviceoriented Interface Design for Open Distributed Environmental Simulations. Environmental Research, Doi: 10.1016/j.envres.2020.110225.
- 8. Min Cao, Mengxue Huang, Shangjing Ma, Guonian Lv, Min Chen*. 2020. Analysis of the spatiotemporal riding modes of dockless shared bicycles based on tensor decomposition. International Journal of Geographical Information Science, 1-18.
- 9. C. Michael Barton, Marina Alberti, Daniel Ames, Jo-An Atkinson, Jerad Bales, Edmund Burke, Min Chen, Saikou Y Diallo, David J. D. Earn, Brian Fath, Zhilan Feng, Christopher Gibbons, Ross Hammond, Jane Heffernan, Heather Houser, Peter S. Hovmand, Birgit Kopainsky, Patricia L. Mabry, Christina Mair, Petra Meier, Rebecca Niles, Brian Nosek, Nathaniel Osgood, Suzanne Pierce, J. Gareth Polhill, Lisa Prosser, Erin Robinson, Cynthia Rosenzweig, Shankar Sankaran, Kurt Stange, Gregory Tucker. 2020. Call for transparency of COVID-19 models. Science, 368(6491): 482-483.
- 10. Fengyuan Zhang, Min Chen*, Daniel P Ames, Chaoran Shen, Songshan Yue, Yongning Wen, Guonian Lu. 2019. Design and Development of a Service-oriented Wrapper System for Sharing and Reusing Distributed Geoanalysis Models on the Web. Environmental Modelling and Software, 111:498-509.
- 11. Guonian Lu, Michael Batty, Josef Strobl, Hui Lin, A-Xing Zhu, Min Chen*. 2019. Reflections and speculations on the progress in Geographic Information Systems (GIS): a geographic perspective. International Journal of Geographical Information Science, 33(2): 346-367.
- 12. Min Chen, Songshan Yue, Guonian Lu, Hui Lin, Chaowei Yang, Yongning Wen, Tao Hou, Dawei Xiao, Hao Jiang. 2019. Teamwork-oriented integrated modeling method for geo-problem solving. Environmental modelling & software, 119:111-123.
- 13. Min Cao, Yanhui Zhu, Jinling Quan, Sheng Zhou, Guonian Lu, Min Chen*, Mengxue Huang. 2019. Spatial sequential modeling and predication of global land use and land cover changes by integrating a global change assessment model and cellular automata. Earth’s Future, 7(9):1102-1116.
- 14. Zaiyang Ma, Min Chen*, Beichen Zhang, Ming Wang, Chaoran Shen, Songshan Yue, Yongning Wen, Guonian Lu. 2019. A Web‐Based Integrated Modeling and Simulation Method for Forest Growth Research. Earth and Space Science, 6(11): 2142-2159.
- 15. Jin Wang, Min Chen*, Guonian Lu, Songshan Yue, Kun Chen, Yongning Wen. 2018. A Study on Data Processing Services for the Operation of Geo-Analysis Models in the Open Web Environment. Earth and Space Science, 5(12): 844-862.
- 16. Min Chen, Danyang Liu, Kejian Qian, Jun Li, Mengling Lei, Yi Zhou. 2018. Lunar Crater Detection Based on Terrain Analysis and Mathematical Morphology Methods Using Digital Elevation Models. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 56(7): 3681-3692.