School of Geography Science
PhD, Soil chemistry, Institute of Soil Science, CAS (1988)
MS, Soil ecology, Institute of Soil Science, CAS (1985)
BS, Soil science and agrochemistry, Zhejiang Agricultural University (1982)
Carbon and nitrogen transformations in soils and their impacts on agriculture, environment and climate
Reductive soil disinfestation (RSD) and its application to solve consecutive cropping obstacles
The National Key Basic Research Program (2014CB953800): Sources of reactive nitrogen and its impacts on air quality and climate change in China. (2014.1-2018.12)
The State Key Program of National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 41330744): The roles of characteristics of nitrogen transformation in allocation of soil nitrogen. (2014.1-2018.12)
The Chinese academy of sciences strategic leading science and technology projects (XDA05020000): Methane and nitrous oxide emissions from land use change and livestock. (2011.1-2015.12)
The national natural science foundation project innovation groups (40921061): Processes in soil and its interfaces. (2010-2012)
More than 400 papers published in peer-review journals. The recent publications are as follows:
- Yang Yanju, Zhang Jinbo, CaiZucong. Nitrification activities and N mineralization in paddy soils are insensitive to oxygen concentration. ACTA AGRICULTURAE SCANDINAVICA SECTION B-SOIL AND PLANT SCIENCE, 2016, 66, 272-281.
- Wen Teng, Huang Xinqi, Zhang Jinbo et al. Effects of biological soil disinfestation and water regime on suppressing Artemisia selengensis root rot pathogens. JOURNAL OF SOILS AND SEDIMENTS, 2016, 16, 215-225.
- Jing Wang, Bo Zhu, Jinbo Zhang*, Christoph Müller, ZucongCai. Mechanisms of soil N dynamics following long-term application of organic fertilizers to subtropical rain-fed purple soil in China. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 2015, 91, 222-231.
- Yi Cheng, Jinbo Zhang, Christoph Müller, Shen-Qiang Wang. 15N tracing study to understand the N supply associated with organic amendments in a vineyard soil. BiolFertil Soils, 2015, 51, 983–993
- Zhang Yushu, Wang Fei, Zhang Jinbo et al. Cattle manure and straw have contrasting effects on organic nitrogen mineralization pathways in a subtropical paddy soil. ACTA AGRICULTURAE SCANDINAVICA SECTION B-SOIL AND PLANT SCIENCE, 2015, 65,619-628.
- Huang XinQi, Wen Teng, Zhang Jinbo et al. Control of soil-borne pathogen Fusariumoxysporum by biological soil disinfestation with incorporation of various organic matters. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF PLANT PATHOLOGY, 2015, 143, 223-235
- Huang Xinqi, Wen Teng, Zhang Jinbo et al. Toxic organic acids produced in biological soil disinfestation mainly caused the suppression of Fusariumoxysporum f. spcubense. BIOCONTROL, 2015, 60, 113-124
- MengTianzhu, Zhu Tongbin, Zhang Jinbo et al. Liming accelerates the NO3- removal and reduces N2O emission in degraded vegetable soil treated by reductive soil disinfestation (RSD). JOURNAL OF SOILS AND SEDIMENTS, 2015, 15, 1968-1976
- Cheng Yi, Wang Jing, Zhang Jinbo et al. Mechanistic insights into the effects of N fertilizer application on N2O-emission pathways in acidic soil of a tea plantation, PLANT AND SOIL, 2015, 389, 45-57
- MengTianzhu, Zhu Tongbin Zhang Jinbo et al. Effect of liming on sulfate transformation and sulfur gas emissions in degraded vegetable soil treated by reductive soil disinfestation. JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES-CHINA, 2015, 36, 112-120
- Zhang Yushu, Zhang Jinbo, Zhu Tongbin et al. Effect of orchard age on soil nitrogen transformation in subtropical China and implications. JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES-CHINA, 2015, 34, 10-19
- Xie Yu, Zhang Jinbo, Meng Lei et al. Variations of soil N transformation and N2O emissions in tropical secondary forests along an aridity gradient. JOURNAL OF SOILS AND SEDIMENTS, 2015,15, 1538-1548
- Wen Teng, Huang Xinqi, Zhang Jinbo et al. Effects of water regime, crop residues, and application rates on control of Fusariumoxysporum f. spcubense. JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES-CHINA, 2015, 31, 30-37
- Zhu Tongbin, MengTianzhu, Zhang Jinbo et al. Fungi-dominant heterotrophic nitrification in a subtropical forest soil of China. JOURNAL OF SOILS AND SEDIMENTS, 2015, 15, 705-709
- Wang X., Han C., Zhang J., Huang Q., Deng H., Deng Y., Zhong W. Long-term fertilization effects on active ammonia oxidizers in an acidic upland soil in China. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 2015, 84, 28-37
- Cheng Yi, Wang Jing, Zhang Jinbo et al. The different temperature sensitivity of gross N transformations between the coniferous and broad-leaved forests in subtropical China. SOIL SCIENCE AND PLANT NUTRITION, 2015, 61, 506-515
- Cheng Yi, Zhang Jinbo, Wang Jing et al. Soil pH is a good predictor of the dominating N2O production processes under aerobic conditions. JOURNAL OF PLANT NUTRITION AND SOIL SCIENCE, 2015,178, 370-373
- Zhang J., Wang J., Zhong W., Cai Z. Organic nitrogen stimulates the heterotrophic nitrification rate in an acidic forest soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 2015, 80, 293-295
- Zhang, J., Lan, T., Müller C., Cai, Z. Dissimilatory nitrate reduction to ammonium (DNRA) plays an important role in soil nitrogen conservation in neutral and alkaline but not acidic rice soil. J Soils Sediments, 2015, 15, 523–531
- Zhang, J., Müller C., Cai, Z. Heterotrophic nitrification of organic N and its contribution to nitrous oxide emissions in soils. Soil Biology & Biochemistry, 2015, 84, 199-209
- Wang, J., Liu, Q., Zhang, J.*, Cai, Z. Conversion of forest to agricultural land affects the relative contribution of bacteria and fungi to nitrification in humid subtropical soils. ActaAgriculturaeScandinavica, Section B — Soil & Plant Science, 2015, 65, 83–88
- Deng Huan, Yu Yong-Jie, Sun Jin-E, Zhang Jin-B, et al. Parent materials have stronger effects than land use types on microbial biomass, activity and diversity in red soil in subtropical China. PEDOBIOLOGIA, 2015, 58, 73-79
- Huang Xinqi, Liu Liangliang, Wen Teng, Zhu Rui, Zhang Jinbo et al. IlluminaMiSeq investigations on the changes of microbial community in the Fusariumoxysporumf.spcubense infected soil during and after reductive soil disinfestation. MICROBIOLOGICAL RESEARCH, 2015, 181, 33-42
- Zhang J., Yu Y., Zhu T., Cai Z. The mechanisms governing low denitrification capacity and high nitrogen oxide gas emissions in subtropical forest soils in China. Journal of Geophysical Research, 2014, 119, 1670-1683
- Zhang J., Sun W, Zhong W., Cai Z. The substrate is an important factor in controlling the significance of heterotrophic nitrification in acidic forest soils. Soil Biology & Biochemistry, 2014, 76, 143-148
- Zhu T., Zhang J.*, Meng T., Zhang Y., Yang J., Müller C., Cai Z. Tea plantation destroys soil retention of NO3- and increases N2O emissions in subtropical China. Soil Biology & Biochemistry, 2014, 73, 106-114
- Cheng Y., Wang J., Wang S., Zhang J., Cai Z. Effects of soil moisture on gross N transformations and N2O emission in acid subtropical forest soils. BIOLOGY AND FERTILITY OF SOILS, 2014, 50, 1099-1108
- Cheng Yi, Wang Jing, Zhang Jinbo et al. The mechanisms behind reduced NH4+ and NO3 - accumulation due to litter decomposition in the acidic soil of subtropical forest. Plant and Soil, 2014, 378, 295-308
- Cheng Yi, Wang Jing, Wang Shen-Qiang, Zhang Jinbo, CaiZucong. Effects of temperature change and tree species composition on N2O and NO emissions in acidic forest soils of subtropical China. JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES-CHINA, 2014, 26, 617-625
- Yu Yongjie, Zhang Jinbo, Chen Wenwen et al. Effect of land use on the denitrification, abundance of denitrifiers, and total nitrogen gas production in the subtropical region of China. BIOLOGY AND FERTILITY OF SOILS, 2014, 50, 105-113
- Zhu Tongbin, Dang Qi, Zhang Jinbo, et al. Reductive soil disinfestation (RSD) alters gross N transformation rates and reduces NO and N2O emissions in degraded vegetable soils. PLANT AND SOIL, 2014, 382, 269-280
- Zhang, J., Cai, Z., Zhu, T., Yang, W., Müller, C. Mechanisms for the retention of inorganic N in acidic forest soils of southern China. Scientific Reports, 2013, 3, 2342, DOI:10.1038/srep02342
- Zhang, J., Zhu, T., Meng, T., Zhang, Y., Yang, J., Yang, W., Müller, C., Cai, Z. Agricultural land use affects nitrate production and conservation in humid subtropical soils in China. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 2013, 62, 107-114
- Zhu, T., Zhang, J., Yang, W., Cai, Z. Effects of organic material amendment and water content on NO, N2O, and N2 emissions in a nitrate-rich vegetable soil. Biology and Fertility of Soils, 2013, 40, 153-163
- Zhu, T., Meng, T., Zhang, J., Yin, Y., Cai, Z., Yang, W., Zhong, W. Nitrogen mineralization, immobilization turnover, heterotrophic nitrification, and microbial groups in acid forest soils of subtropical China. Biology and Fertility of Soils, 2013, 40, 323-331
- Zhang, Y., Zhang, J., Meng, T., Zhu, T., Müller, C., Cai, Z. Heterotrophic nitrification is the predominant NO3- production pathway in acid coniferous forest soil in subtropical China. Biology and Fertility of Soils, 2013, 49, 955-957
- Cheng, Y., Z. Cai, SX Chang, J Wang, J Zhang. Effects of soil pH and salt on N2O production in adjacent forest and grassland soils in central Alberta, Canada. Journal of Soils and Sediments, 2013, 13, 863-868
- Cheng, Y., J Wang, B Mary, J Zhang, Z Cai. Soil pH has contrasting effects on gross and net nitrogen mineralizations in adjacent forest and grassland soils in central Alberta, Canada. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 2013,57, 848-857
- Cheng, Y., Z Cai, SX Chang, J Wang, J Zhang. Wheat straw and its biochar have contrasting effects on inorganic N retention and N2O production in a cultivated Black Chernozem. Biology and Fertility of Soils, 2013, 48, 941-946
- Zhang, J., Zhu, T., Cai, Z., Qin, S., Müller, C. Effects of long-term repeated mineral and organic fertilizer applications on soil nitrogen transformations. European Journal of Soil Science, 2012, 63, 75-85
- Zhang, J., Cai, Z., Yang, W., Zhu, T., Yu, Y., Yan, X., Jia, Z. Long-term field fertilization affects soil nitrogen transformations in a rice-wheat-rotation cropping system. Journal Plant Nutrition Soil Science, 2012, 175, 939–946
- Cai, Z., Zhang, J., Zhu, T., Cheng, Y. Stimulation of NO and N2O emissions from soils by SO2 deposition. Global Change Biology, 2012, 18, 2280-2291
- Huang, R., Wu, Y., Zhang, J., Zhong, W., Jia, Z., Cai, Z. Nitrification activity and putative ammonia-oxidizing archaea in acidic red soils. Journal of Soils and Sediments, 2012, 12, 420-428
- Cheng,Y, Cai, Z., Zhang, J., Lang, M., Mary, B., Chang, S. Soil moisture effects on gross nitrification differ between adjacent grassland and forested soils in central Alberta, Canada. Plant and Soil, 2012, 352, 289–301
- Yu, Y., Shen, W., Yin, Y., Zhang, J., Cai, Z., Zhong, W. Response of soil microbial diversity to land-use conversion of natural forests to plantations in a subtropical mountainous area of southern China. Science and Plant Nutrition, 2012, 58,450-461
- Sun, P., Zhuge, Y., Zhang, J., Cai, Z. Soil pH was the main controlling factor of the denitrification rates and N2/N2O emission ratios in forest and grassland soils along the Northeast China Transect (NECT). Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, 2012, 58, 517-525
- Lu, L., Han, W., Zhang, J., Wu, Y., Wang, B., Lin, X., Zhu, J., Cai, Z., *Jia, Z. Nitrification of archaeal ammonia oxidizers in acid soils is supported by hydrolysis of urea. The ISME Journal, 2012, 6(10), 1978-1984
- Zhang, J., Cai, Z., Zhu, T. N2O production pathways in the subtropical acid forest soils in China. Environmental Research, 2011, 111, 643-649
- Zhang, J., Zhu, T., Cai, Z., Müller, C. Heterotrophic nitrification is the predominant NO3- production mechanism in coniferous but not broad-leaf acid forest soil in subtropical China. Biology and Fertility of Soils, 2011, 47, 533–542
- Zhang, J., Zhu, T., Cai, Z., Müller, C. Nitrogen cycling in forest soils across climate gradients in Eastern China. Plant and Soil, 2011, 342, 419–432
- Zhu, T., Zhang, J., Cai, Z. The contribution of nitrogen transformation processes to total N2O emissions from soils used for intensive vegetable cultivation. Plant and Soil, 2011, 343, 313–327
- Zhu, T., Zhang, J., Cai, Z., Müller, C. The N transformation mechanisms for rapid nitrate accumulation in soils under intensive vegetable cultivation. Journal of Soils and Sediments, 2011, 11, 1178-1189
- Cheng, Y., Cai, Z., Zhang, J., Chang, S. Gross N transformations were little affected by 4 years of simulated N and S depositions in an aspen-white spruce dominated boreal forest in Alberta, Canada. Forest Ecology and Management, 2011, 262, 571–578
- S.A. Banwart, E. Noellemeyer, E. Milne (Eds.) Soil Carbon – Science, Management and Policy for Multiple Benefits, Scientific Committee on Problems of the Environment (SCOPE) Series, CABI, Wallingford, UK (2014) (Volume 71, 31 Chapters, ISBN: 9781780645322).Coauthor of Chapters 1, 4 and 7.
- ZucongCai and Xiaoyuan Yan, 2011. Understanding Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Croplands in China, in Understanding Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Agricultural management, Lei Guo, Amrith S. Gunasekara, Laura L. McConnell ,editors, ACS Symposium Series 1072. Oxford University Press, Inc. pp 91-120.
- CaiZucong, XuHua, Ma Jin (eds), CH4 and N2O Emissions from Rice-based Ecosystems, Press of China Science and Technology University, 2009.
- Han S.J., Dong Y.S, Cai Z. C. et al. (eds), Biogeochemical Processes of Carbon in Terrestrial Ecosystems in China, Science Press, 2008.
- Cao Z, Zhou J. M. et al. (eds), Soil Quality of China, Science Press, 2008. Coauthor of Chapter 4.
- Smith, P., D. Martino, Z. Cai, D. Gwary, H. Janzen, P. Kumar, B. McCarl, S. Ogle, F. O’Mara, C. Rice, B. Scholes, O. Sirotenko, 2007: Agriculture. In Climate Change 2007: Mitigation. Contribution of Working Group III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [B. Metz, O.R. Davidson, P.R. Bosch, R. Dave, L.A. Meyer (eds)], Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA. pp 499-540.
- Yang L.Z., Xu Q. (eds), Soil Ecosystems, Science Press, 2005. Coauthor of Chapter 6 and 20.
- Cai Z. Change in Organic Carbon Contents in Croplands and Affecting Factors, in Chen P.J., Huang Y, and Yu G.Z. (eds), Carbon Cycles in Earth System, Science Press, 2004.
- Balasubramanian V., B. Alves, M. Aulakh, M. Bekunda, Z. Cai, L. Drinkwater, D. Mugendi, C. van Kessel, and O. Oenema. 2004. Part II: Crop Issues. Crop, Environmental, and Management Factors Affecting Nitrogen Use Efficiency. In: Arvin R. Mosier, J. Keith Syers and John R. Freney (eds) Agricultural and the Nitrogen Cycle, Assessing the Impacts of Fertilizer Use on Food Production and the Environment. SCOPE 65. Island Press, Washington. Covelo. London. Pp: 19-34.
- Xu H. and Cai Z. C, The Relations of Soil Carbon and Nitrogen with Air Quality, in Chen H.M. (ed), Behaviors of Soil Matters and Environmental Impacts, Science Press, 2002.
- Cai Z.C, Methane Emissions from Rice Fields, in Ma Y. J. and Chen J.F. (eds), Changes in Paddy Soils and Eco-environments, Science Press, 1999.
- Liu Z. (ed), Trace Elements in Chinese Soils, Science and Technology Press of Jiangsu, 1996. Author of three Chapters.
- Liu Z. (ed), Agro-Chemistry of Trace Elements, Agricultural Press, 1991. Author of one chapter.
Honors and Awards:
- The National Natural Science Awards (Grade 2) for the Research on Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Wetlands of China (2008)
- Scientists Having Special Contribution to Science and Technology of Jiangsu Province (2006)
- Award for Outstanding Supervisor of Graduate Students, CAS (2005)
- First Class Award of Science and Technology of Jiangsu Province for the Research onSoil Quality and Its Evolution (2005)
- First Class Award of Science and Technology of Jiangsu Province for the Research onMethane and Nitrous Oxide Emissions from Rice-Based Ecosystems (2004)
- The First Award of Soil Science Society of China (2004)
- Award for Outstanding Supervisor of Graduate Students, CAS (2004)
- Medal of Labor Day of Jiangsu Province (2002)
- Honor of Ten Stars in Science and Technology of Nanjing City (2001)
- Second Class Natural Science Award of Chinese Academy of Sciences for the Research onTrace Elements of Chinese Soils (1998)
- Excellent Supervisor of Graduate Students of Jiangsu Province (1998)
- Young Scientist Model of Jiangsu Province (1994)
- Award for Young Scientists of Chinese Academy of Sciences (1993)
- Second Class Natural Science Award of Chinese Academy of Sciences for the Research onAgro-chemistry of Trace Elements (1993)
Professor of Soil Science
Executive member of Soil Science Society of China
Editor of Plant and Soil, Journal of Soils and Sediments, and Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, etc.
+86 25 85891203