- Metagenomics on the environmental microbes based on soil, water, feces of endangered animals in China, such as giant pandas,Père David's Deer: Coevolution between diet and gut microbes.
- Population genome research on endangerment mammals: population history, demography and ecological adaptation.
- Conservation biology on giant pandas, black bears and deers using noninvasive genetic methods, such as from feces.
PhD, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China (2007)
MA, Nanjing Normal University, China (2004)
BA, Nanjing Normal University, China (2001)
Funding: (1) National Natural Science Fund for Outstanding Young Fund,China; (2) Projects of National Natural Science Foundation, China. (3) Projects of National Natural Science Foundation, China.
- Zhu LF, Wu Q, Dai JY, Zhang SN, Wei FW (2011) Evidence of cellulose metabolism by the giant panda gut microbiome. PNAS. 108: 17714-17719.
- Zhu LF, Hu YB, Qi DW, Wu H, Zhan XJ, Zhang ZJ, Bruford MW, Wang JL, Yang XY, Gu XD, Zhang L, Zhang BW, Zhang SN, Wei FW. (2013) Genetic consequences of historical anthropogenic and ecological events on giant pandas. Ecology, http://dx.doi.org/10.1890/12-1451.1
- Zhu LF, Zhang SN, Gu XD, Wei FW (2011) Significant genetic boundaries and spatial dynamics of giant pandas occupying fragmented habitat across southwest China. Molecular Ecology 20: 1122-1132.
- Zhu LF, Zhan XJ, Wu H, Zhang SN, Meng T, Bruford MW, Wei FW (2010) Drastic reduction of the smallest and most isolated giant panda population: implications for conservation.Conservation Biology, 24, 1299-1306.
- Zhu LF, Zhan XJ, Meng T, Zhang SN, Wei FW (2010) Landscape features influence gene flow as measured by cost-distance and genetic analyses: a case study for giant pandas in the Daxiangling and Xiaoxiangling Mountains. BMC Genetics, 11: 72.
- Zhu LF, Hu YB, Zhang ZJ, Wei FW (2013) The effect of China’s rapid development on its iconic giant panda. CHINESE SCIENCE Bulletin, doi: 10.1007/s11434-012-5647-4.
- Zhao SC, et al. (2013) Whole-genome sequencing of giant pandas provides insights into demographic history and local adaptation. Nature Genetics, 45,67-71.Author order 11；
- Wei FW, Hu YB, Zhu LF, Bruford MW, Zhan XJ, Zhang L. (2012) Black and white and read all over: the past, present and future of giant panda genetics. Molecular Ecology, 21,5660-5674.
- Shan L, Hu YB, Zhu LF, Yan L, Wang CD, Li DS, Jin XL, Zhang CL, Wei FW*. 2014. Large-scale genetic survey provides insights into the captive management and reintroduction of giant pandas. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 31:2663-26.
- Zhang BW, Li M, Zhang ZJ, Goosens B, Zhu LF, Zhang SN, Hu JC, Bruford, MW, Wei FW (2007) Genetic viability and population history of the giant panda, putting an end to the evolutionary dead-end. Molecular Biology and Evolution 24: 1801-1810.
- Wei FW, Swaisgood RR, Hu YB, Nie YG, Yan L, Zhang ZJ, Qi DW, Zhu LF. 2015. Progress in the ecology and conservation of giant pandas. Conservation Biology, DOI: 10.1111/cobi.12582