- Signaling network of cell survival and death and molecular mechanisms of regulation for targeted drugs.
- The occurring mechanisms, regulation and new drug screening for the effects of oxidative stress and environmental pollutant cadmium on brain neuron apoptosis, degradation and its related diseases.
- The mutual relation and control strategy of various signal molecules in neuro-endocrine-immune network.
- The role of tumorigenesis-related signal molecules in cell adhesion and migration.
Sept. 1994-Aug. 1998: Ph. D. (Animal Physiology and Biochemistry), Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China.
Sept. 1991-July 1994: M. S. (Animal Physiology and Biochemistry), Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China.
Sept. 1981-July 1985: B. S. (Veterinary Medicine), Anhui Agricultural University, Fengyang, Anhui, China.
- The role and molecular mechanisms of neuronal oxidative stress-mediated mTOR inhibition in the development of Parkinson’s disease;
- The mechanisms of signaling and immune regulation for human soluble B-cell activating factor (hsBAFF);
- The effects and targeted regulation of environmental pollutant cadmium on signaling network of MAPKs and Akt/mTOR pathways in the process of neuronal cell apoptosis;
- The molecular mechanisms of signaling and targeted-drug inhibition action of mTOR and its related molecules in the process of adhesion and migration of tumor cells;
- The mutual relation and regulation of various signal molecules in neuro-endocrine-immune network.
Journal Articles（*Corresponding author, 1co-first author）
- Zhang R1, Zhang N1, Zhang H, Liu C, Dong X, Wang X, Zhu Y, Xu C, Liu L, Yang S, Huang S*, Chen L*. Celastrol prevents cadmium-induced neuronal cell death by blocking reactive oxygen species-mediated mammalian target of rapamycin pathway. Br J Pharmacol. 2017; 174: 82-100 (SCI IF= 5.259).
- Zhang R1, Zhu Y1, Dong X, Liu B, Zhang N, Wang X, Liu L, Xu C, Huang S*, Chen L*. Celastrol attenuates cadmium-induced neuronal apoptosis via inhibiting Ca2+-CaMKII-dependent Akt/mTOR pathway. J Cell Physiol. 2017; DOI: 10.1002/jcp.25703 (SCI IF=4.155).
- Xu C1, Wang X1, Gu C1, Zhang H, Zhang R, Dong X, Liu C, Hu X, Ji X, Huang S*, Chen L*. Celastrol ameliorates Cd-induced neuronal apoptosis by targeting NOX2-derived ROS-dependent PP5-JNK signaling pathway. J Neurochem. 2017; 141: 48-62 (SCI IF= 3.842).
- Zeng Q1, Qin S1, Zhang H, Liu B, Qin J, Wang X, Zhang R, Liu C, Dong X, Zhang S, Huang S*, Chen L*. Rapamycin attenuates BAFF-extended proliferation and survival via disruption of mTORC1/2 signaling in normal and neoplastic B-lymphoid cells. J Cell Physiol. 2017; DOI:10.1002/jcp.25913 (SCI IF=4.155).
- Xu C, Huang S, Chen L*. An insight of rapamycin against cadmium’s neurotoxicity. Oncotarget 2017; 8: 9013-9014 (SCI IF= 5.008).
- Liu C1, Ye Y1, Zhou Q, Zhang R, Zhang H, Liu W, Xu C, Liu L, Huang S*, Chen L*. Crosstalk between Ca2+ signaling and mitochondrial H2O2 is required for rotenone inhibition of mTOR signaling pathway leading to neuronal apoptosis. Oncotarget 2016; 7: 7534-7549 (SCI IF= 5.008).
- Xu C1, Wang X1, Zhu Y1, Dong X, Liu C, Zhang H, Liu L, Huang S*, Chen L*. Rapamycin ameliorates cadmium-induced activation of MAPK pathway and neuronal apoptosis via suppressing mitochondrial ROS-inactivated PP2A. Neuropharmacology 2016; 105: 270-284 (SCI IF= 4.936).
- Gui L1, Zeng Q1, Xu Z1, Zhang H, Qin S, Liu C, Xu C, Zhou Q, Zhang S, Huang S, Chen L*. IL-2, IL-4, IFN-γ or TNF- enhances BAFF-stimulated cell viability and survival by activating Erk1/2 and S6K1 pathways in neoplastic B-lymphoid cells. Cytokine. 2016; 84: 37-46 (SCI IF=2.94).
- Xu C1, Zhang H1, Liu C, Zhu Y, Wang X, Gao W, Huang S*, Chen L*. Rapamycin inhibits Erk1/2-mediated neuronal apoptosis caused by cadmium. Oncotarget 2015; 6: 21452-21467 (SCI IF= 6.359).
- Chen L*, Xu B, Liu L, Liu C, Luo Y, Chen X, Barzegar M, Chung J, Huang S*. Both mTORC1 and mTORC2 are involved in the regulation of cell adhesion. Oncotarget 2015; 6: 7136-7150 (SCI IF=6.359).
- Zeng Q, Zhang H, Qin J, Xu Z, Gui L, Liu B, Liu C, Xu C, Liu W, Zhang S, Huang S*, Chen L*. Rapamycin inhibits BAFF-stimulated cell proliferation and survival by suppressing mTOR-mediated PP2A-Erk1/2 signaling pathway in normal and neoplastic B-lymphoid cells. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2015; 72:4867–4884 (SCI IF=5.808).
- Xu C1, Liu C1, Liu L, Zhang R, Zhang H, Chen S, Luo Y, Chen L*, Huang S*. Rapamycin prevents cadmium-induced neuronal cell death via targeting both mTORC1 and mTORC2 pathways. Neuropharmacology 2015; 97: 35-45 (SCI IF=5.106).
- Chen L, Liu C, Huang S*. A deut of mTORC1/2 for cell adhesion. Cell Cycle 2015; 14: 1131-1132 (SCI IF=4.565).
- Liu C1, Zhang R1, Sun C, Zhang H, Xu C, Liu W, Gao W, Huang S*, Chen L*. Resveratrol prevents cadmium activation of Erk1/2 and JNK pathways from neuronal cell death via protein phosphatases 2A and 5. J Neurochem. 2015; 135: 466-478 (SCI IF=4.281).
- Zhou Q1, Liu C1, Liu W1, Zhang H, Zhang R, Liu Jia, Zhang J, Xu C, Liu L, Huang S1, Chen L1,*. Rotenone induction of hydrogen peroxide inhibits mTOR-mediated S6K1 and 4E-BP1/eIF4E pathways, leading to neuronal apoptosis. Toxicol Sci. 2015; 143; 81-96 (SCI IF=3.854).
- Chen S1, Ren Q1, Zhang J, Ye Y, Zhang Z, Xu Y, Guo M, Ji H, Xu C, Gu C, Gao W, Huang S*, Chen L*. N-acetyl-L-cysteine protects against cadmium-induced neuronal apoptosis by inhibiting ROS-dependent activation of Akt/mTOR pathway in mouse brain. Neuropath Appl Neuro. 2014; 40: 759-777 (SCI IF=4.97).
- Xu Y1, Liu C1, Chen S, Ye Y, Guo M, Ren Q, Liu L, Zhang H, Xu C, Zhou Q, Huang S*, Chen L*. Activation of AMPK and inactivation of Akt results in suppression of mTOR-mediated S6K1 and 4E-BP1 pathways leading to neuronal cell death in in vitro models of Parkinson’s disease. Cell Signal. 2014; 26: 1680-1689 (SCI IF=4.471).
- Liang D1, Zeng Q1, Xu Z1, Zhang H, Gui L, Xu C, Chen S, Zhang S, Huang S*, Chen L*. BAFF activates Erk1/2 promoting cell proliferation and survival by Ca2+-CaMKII-dependent inhibition of PP2A in normal and neoplastic B-lymphoid cells. Biochem Pharmacol. 2014; 87: 332-343 (SCI IF=4.65).
- Chen S1, Gu C1, Xu C, Zhang J, Xu Y, Ren Q, Guo M, Huang S*, Chen L*. Celastrol prevents cadmium-induced neuronal cell death via targeting JNK and PTEN-Akt/mTOR network. J Neurochem. 2014; 128: 256-266 (SCI IF=4.244).
- Ke Z1, Liang D1, Zeng Q, Ren Q, Ma H, Gui L, Chen S, Guo M, Xu Y, Gao W, Zhang S, Chen L*. hsBAFF promotes proliferation and survival in cultured B lymphocytes via calcium signaling activation of mTOR pathway. Cytokine 2013; 62: 310-321 (SCI IF=3.019).
- Zhang LJ, Xue YQ, Yang C, Yang WH, Chen L, Zhang QJ, Qu TY, Huang S, Zhao LR, Wang XM, Duan WM. Human albumin prevents 6-hydroxydopamine-induced loss of tyrosine hydroxylase in in vitro and in vivo. PloS ONE 2012; 7: e41226 (SCI IF=4.092).
- Han X, Xu B, Beevers CS, Odaka Y, Chen L, Liu L, Luo Y, Zhou H, Chen W, Shen T, Huang S. Curcumin inhibits protein phosphatases 2A and 5, leading to activation of mitogen-activated protein kinases and death in tumor cells. Carcinogenesis. 2012; 33: 868-875 (SCI IF=5.402).
- Chen L1, Xu B1, Liu L, Luo Y, Zhou H, Chen W, Shen T, Han X, Kontos CD, Huang S. Cadmium induction of reactive oxygen species activates mTOR pathway, leading to neuronal cell death. Free Radic Biol Med. 2011; 50: 624-632 (SCI收录, IF=5.707).
- Xu B1, Chen S1, Luo Y, Chen Z, Liu L, Zhou H, Chen W, Shen T, Han X, Chen L*, Huang S*. Calcium signaling is involved in cadmium-induced neuronal apoptosis via induction of reactive oxygen species and activation of MAPK/mTOR network. PloS ONE 2011; 6: e19052 (SCI IF=4.411).
- Chen S1, Xu Y1, Xu B1, Guo M, Zhang Z, Liu L, Ma H, Chen Z, Luo Y, Huang S*, Chen L*. CaMKII is involved in cadmium activation of MAPK and mTOR pathways leading to neuronal cell death. J Neurochem. 2011; 119: 1108-1118 (SCI IF=4.337).
- Wen L1, Chen SJ1, Zhang W, Ma HW, Zhang SQ, Chen L*. hsBAFF regulates proliferation and response in cultured CD4+ T lymphocytes by upregulation of intracellular free Ca2+ homeostasis. Cytokine 2011; 53: 215-222 (SCI IF=3.537).
- Liu L, Luo Y, Chen L, Shen T, Xu B, Chen W, Zhou H, Han X, Huang S. Rapamycin inhibits cytoskeleton reorganization and cell motility by suppressing RhoA expression and activity. J Biol Chem. 2010; 285: 38362-38373 (SCI IF=5.328).
- Liu L, Chen L, Luo Y, Chen W, Zhou H, Xu B, Han X, Shen T, Huang S. Rapamycin inhibits IGF-1 stimulated cell motility through PP2A pathway. PloS ONE 2010; 5: e10578 (SCI IF=4.351).
- Chen L, Huang S. Signaling pathways involved in cadmium-induced neuronal apoptosis. In S. Huang edit: Metals and Neurodegeneration. Research Signpost, Kerala, India. 2010; pp101-121.
- Chen L1, Xu B1, Liu L, Luo Y, Yin J, Zhou H, Chen W, Shen T, Han X, Huang S. Hydrogen peroxide inhibits mTOR signaling by activation of AMPKα leading to apoptosis of neuronal cells. Lab Invest. 2010; 90:762-773 (SCI IF=4.602).
- Gao W, Chen L*, Xu LB, Huang XH. Specific IgG activity against diarrheagenic bacteria in bovine immune milk and effect of pH on its antigen-binding activity upon heating. J Dairy Res. 2010; 77: 220-224 (SCI IF=1.343).
- Chen L, Liu L, Yin J, Luo Y, Huang S. Hydrogen peroxide-induced neuronal apoptosis is associated with inhibition of protein phosphatase 2A and 5, leading to activation of MAPK pathway. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2009; 41: 1284-1295 (SCI IF=4.178).
- Chen L*, Ran MJ, Shan XX, Cao M, Cao P, Yang XM, Zhang SQ. BAFF enhances B-cell-mediated immune response and vaccine-protection against a very virulent IBDV in chickens. Vaccine 2009; 27: 1393-1399 (SCI IF=3.298).
- Beevers CS, Chen L, Liu L, Luo Y, Webster NJ, Huang S. Curcumin disrupts the Mammalian target of rapamycin-raptor complex. Cancer Res. 2009; 69: 1000-1008 (SCI IF=7.514).
- Liang JQ, Zhang W, Wen L, Gao W, Zhang SQ, Chen L*. hsBAFF-upregulated intracellular free Ca2+ homeostasis regulates ERK1/2 activity and cell proliferation in in vitro B cells. Physiol Res. 2009; 58: 411-418 (SCI IF=1.658).
- Chen L, Liu L, Luo Y, Huang S. Cadmium activates the mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) pathway via induction of reactive oxygen species and inhibition of protein phosphatases 2A and 5. Free Radic Biol Med. 2008; 45: 1035-1044 (SCI IF=5.399).
- Chen L, Liu L, Luo Y, Huang S. MAPK and mTOR pathways are involved in cadmium-induced neuronal apoptosis. J Neurochem. 2008; 105: 251-261 (SCI IF=4.5).
- Liu L, Chen L, Chung J, Su B, Blenis J, Huang S. Rapamycin inhibits F-actin reorganization and phosphorylation of focal adhesion proteins. Oncogene 2008; 27: 4998–5010 (SCI IF=6.44).
- Huang XH, Chen L*, Gao W, Zhang W, Chen SJ, Xu LB, Zhang SQ. Specific IgG activity of bovine immune milk against diarrhea bacteria and its protective effects on pathogen-infected intestinal damages. Vaccine 2008; 26: 5973–5980 (SCI IF=3.377).
- Zhang W, Wen L, Huang XH, Liang JQ, Gao W, Zhang SQ, Chen L*. hsBAFF enhances activity of NK cells by regulation of CD4+ T lymphocyte function. Immunol Lett. 2008; 120: 96-102 (SCI IF=2.623).
- Xia SK, Chen L*, Liang JQ. Enriched selenium and its effects on growth and biochemical composition in Lactobacillus Bulgaricus. J Agric Food Chem. 2007; 55: 2413-2417 (SCI IF=2.322).
- Wang SS, Chen L*, Xia SK. Cadmium is acutely toxic for murine hepatocytes: effects on intracellular free Ca2+ homeostasis. Physiol Res. 2007; 56: 193-201 (SCI IF=2.006).
- Xu LB, Chen L*, Gao W, Du KH. Bovine immune colostrum against seventeen strains of diarrhea bacteria and in vitro and in vivo effects of its specific IgG. Vaccine 2006; 24: 2131-2140 (SCI IF=2.87).
- Shan X, Chen L*, Cao M, Xu L, Zhang S. Effects of human soluble BAFF synthesized in Escherichia coli on CD4+ and CD8+ T lymphocytes as well as NK cells in mice. Physiol Res. 2006; 55: 301-307 (SCI IF=1.806).
- Cao M, Chen L*, Shan XX, Zhang SQ. Immunological effects of refolded human soluble BAFF synthesized in Escherichia coli on murine B lymphocytes in vitro and in vivo. Jpn J Physiol. 2005; 55: 225-231 (SCI IF=0.87).
Chen L, Gao W, Xu LB. An immune milk against diarrhea bacteria and its method of manufacturing. China Invention Patent: Authorization number CN1306957; Patent number 200510039259.8.
Chen L. Production method and application of a preparation for lactobacillus with selenium enrichment. China Invention Patent: Authorization number CN100493520C; Patent number 200510039258.3.
Honors and Awards
- Advisor of a doctor for Jiangsu outstanding Ph.D. thesis sponsored by Jiangsu Academic Degree Committee (in 2014).
- Natural Science Achievement Award for Science and Technology Progress sponsored by Ministry of Education (Grade B Award in 2009 and 2003).
- Achievement Award for Science and Technology Progress sponsored by Nanjing Goverment (Grade B Award in 2009 and C Award in 2007).
- Achievement Award for Science and Technology Progress sponsored by Ministry of Agriculture (Grade C Award in 1999).
- Editorial board members of the Journals for World J Gastroenterol, World J Exp Med, Open Vet Sci J.
- Reviewer of the Journals for Acta Pharmacol Sin, Acupunct Med, Am J Physiol-Cell Ph, Brit J Pharmacol, Pharmacol Rep, Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, Cancer Invest, Cell Mol Neurobiol, Cytokine, Front Physiol, IUBMB Life, Histol Histopathol, Hum Exp Toxicol, J Dairy Res, J Hazard Mater, J Leukoc Biol, J Pharm Pharmacol, Oncotarget, Peptides, Pharm Biol, and Vaccine.
- Executive member of the Council for Jiangsu Society of Neuroscience, Member of the council for Jiangsu Society of Physiology, and Member of the Council for Jiangsu Society of Cellular and Developmental Biology.
- Professional memberships for American Association of Cancer Research, Chinese Association of Physiology, Chinese Association of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Chinese Association of Cellular Biology, Chinese Society of Pathophysiology, and Chinese Society of Animal and Veterinary.
Institute of Biochemistry and Biological Product
College of Life Sciences, Nanjing Normal University
1 Wenyuan Road, Nanjing 210023