Features of the course “Psychological Counseling and Therapy for Children”:
The course “Psychological Counseling and Therapy for Children” have 3 main features: 1. To have the research on clinical cases run through classroom teaching, to apply case analysis, consultation simulation, supervision on counseling and therapy,discussion and analysis of counseling video etc. to highlighting the practicality and operability of the course. 2.Through supervision, to assist students in transforming theoretical knowledge into practical ability. 3. To evaluate students' learning effect when practice assessment is taken into consideration. Apart from the regular assessment of theory, the course puts a special emphasis on multiple forms of evaluation such as on-the-site operation, case analysis, interpretation of textual cases etc., to improve the effectiveness of evaluation. In the process of the course running, we have earned high marks not only from peers of universities in Nanjing, but also peers from all over the country, and we are very influential in the country. Psychological Counseling and Therapy for Children, the textbook for the course, has become the “11th Five-Year” National Planning Textbook recommended by MOE. There is currently no other school to offer this course among the peer universities over the country, so the course has filled in the blank of psychological counseling for children in China in the fields of discipline foundation, textbook construction, website construction and teaching practice. Compared with those in foreign countries, the course has its own characteristics in emphasis on refining ideas of the course. In the future construction of the course, we should strengthen the communication and cooperation with foreign experts, striving to take in more nutrition for and promoting the international development of the course. The course transformed and upgraded to National Elaborate Course in September, 2013 (Link of the Course Website: http://www.icourses.cn/coursestatic/course_3132.html )
The Origins of the Construction of the Teaching Team on Psychological Counseling and Therapy for Children:
Children’s psychological health problem is a hot topic in today’s society and the most important teaching contents in orientations of child development and educational psychology, psychological therapy and counseling for children etc. To cultivate, train and improve students’ ability of applying knowledge and techniques of psychological counseling and therapy to practicing on psychological counseling for children, we enable students to carry out psychological assessment for children and analysis of cases smoothly, and to offer consultation for individual or team by employing different kinds of expertise of counseling and therapy for children.
●Features of team setting
Following the comprehensive plan on the construction of resource-sharing courses, the team decides to divide members into different groups according to the different stages and tasks of course construction so as to form a dynamic team. At the beginning of the establishment, the team’s work focuses on the construction of courses. After serious consideration, the team is divided into 4 groups: Think-tank Group, Execution Group, Resources Group, Outreach Group, each having its own work: 1.Think-tank Group is responsible for the overall supervision on the course construction. Their main work includes formulating and planning course schemes, organizing course contents, designing the form of course teaching etc. 2. Execution Group is responsible for the concrete implementation of the course construction. Their main work includes writing teaching plans for the course, formulating key and difficult points for the course, teaching course contents, making courseware etc. This group is the focus of team work. 3. Resources Group is responsible of the construction of course resources. Their main work includes coordination in making course videos, formulating course assignments, setting course examinations, making supply resources for the course etc. This group is an important component of the course. 4. Outreach Group is responsible for the related technical Issues in the construction of course website and other externally exchange and publicity activities. Their main work includes uploading course resources, answering questions on course website. This group is the key factor of course running.
●Features in specialty
It is a key discipline in Jiangsu, supported by the brand major with NNU-characteristics, and by the rich experience in teaching and opportunities to practice in the fields of psychological counseling and guidance, particularly in group guidance and domestic treatment. It has significant advantages in theoretical research and field application of psychometrics and personnel evaluation.
●Innovative reform measures
From the current point of view, the course not only learns from and reserves some good traditional teaching methods and means, but also pertinently uses related information technology to create some practical reform measures.
1. Combining discussion and analysis of classic cases and consult of on-the-site cases. We gathered a great deal of text materials of classic cases for students' discussion and analyses, so that they can comprehend the main idea and essence of different kinds of theories and methods of psychological counseling and therapy for children. Meanwhile, through on-the-site consultation of cases and role play of consultation cases, we have students learn from participation and know from practice, which supplies the weakness of imparting knowledge only through lecturing. Apart from that, we also have teachers (who are registered supervisors recognized by nation) make comments and supervise on the spot during the process, to complete students' understanding of knowledge and findng their problems, so as to promote their growth.
2. Students teach on trial, complemented by comments and supplements from teachers. Every semester, we would give some fully developed content to students and have them teach on trial after they study on themselves, complemented by comments and supplements from teachers. Teaching practice has proved that this method not only promotes students’ active minds and effect of teaching, but also develops students’ interest and affection for the course of psychological counseling and therapy for children.
3. Applying modern educational technology to teaching. Modern educational technology for teaching is a regular method used in the teaching process of this course, which promotes the teaching greatly. In this course, all teaching materials are made into Word versions and PowerPoint versions, along with a show of some cases in the course by slides and videos, so as to make our teaching live. Meanwhile, we gain feedback from students on counseling and therapy practice through live video recording.
4. Combining in-classroom tutorial and outside-classroom guidance. We emphasize combination of in-classroom tutorial and outside-classroom guidance in practical teaching, which extends our teaching from in-classroom teaching to outside-classroom teaching. All members of the course have set office hours open for questions and communication with their class, with not only the fixed places for question answering, but also e-mail or BBS for students to communicate with teachers on the Internet so that they can get actual help from teachers at all time.
5. Use multiple assessment methods to evaluate students' study achievements. Although the assessment covers all the knowledge points of this course, we adopt more than merely a final written examination for evaluation. Instead we use multiple assessment methods to evaluate students' study effects according to the characteristics of the counseling course. The assessment includes two parts of theoretical assessment (40%) and practical operation (60%); The assessment scores includes students' in-the-semester performance and scores of the final examination; The forms vary from open-book to closed-book examinations, from question answering to paper writing. The evaluation on practical operation is the innovative reform measure of this course.
●Team work mechanism:
To clarify the team work mechanism is the key part of course running. According to features of the course Psychological Counseling and Therapy for Children, the course team mainly focuses on internal and external sides of team construction. Dealing with the external side, the team should remain open and take in domestic and foreign experts, foreign ones particularly, to join in the team of course construction. Based on successful experience, we engaged domestic and foreign experts in children counseling and therapy, especially first-rate scholars in the fields of crisis intervention and trauma counseling for children and children's suicide prevention which is closely related to the course content. Through lectures and academic exchange, we will make it a first-rate resource-sharing course. Dealing with the internal side, the team strengthens its construction,specially focusing on the growth of young teachers and ensuring sustainable development of the course. Apart from strengthening the training of young teachers, the team will further improve quality of graduate students. We absorb graduates to take part in course construction using the course as a platform, so as to form a rational echelon and a win-win situation of personnel training and course construction.
●Planning on future construction of the team:
Through exploration, we reorganized and integrated the theoretical research, clinical practice and teaching achievements of more than a decade. We gradually turned the traditional medical treatment mode that focuses on discussion about different types of disorder, to the present psychological mode that unfolds from multiple psychotherapy methods which fit the children's characteristics. Under the framework of new ideas and new structures, we have revised the national "11th Five-Year" planning textbook Psychological Counseling and Therapy for Children, which shares the same name with our course, following the teaching idea of exploration, innovation and interactivity. It was reissued on June 1, 2015, which is a symbolic achievement in course construction and will promote the sustainable development of the course in the future teaching.
●Popularization and Application of the course “Psychological Counseling and Therapy for Children”
A. Online operation
The course “Psychological Counseling and Therapy for Children” has been in good operation since its implementation on the website “Icourse” on September 12, 2013. The shared course has been run by 2 teachers, 2 doctoral students and 10 master students, who are responsible for construction and Q&A interaction of the website. Until the completion of the form, the course has had 13457 visits in 2 years.
Since the course is open to students, NNU has been the first to promote it with students from SOP and other schools/departments taking this course actively. Afterwards, teachers from Nanjing Xiaozhuang University, Nanjing Normal University of Special Education, Nanjing Medical University, Research Center for Children’s Psychological Health at Nanjing Brain Hospital showed great interest in the course during the communication between our team and Nanjing peers, saying they would apply the contents of our course in their teaching. Teachers from Central China Normal University, East China Normal University said they would apply them in their teaching during the communication between our team and national peers.